Your landlord is responsible for most repairs in your home and has a legal obligation to ensure that your property is safe. You may be able to claim compensation if disrepair in your home makes you ill or causes inconvenience and stress. If you are renting a property that has fallen into disrepair, it is vital that you seek legal representation to handle your case and give you the best prospect of obtaining compensation.

Whether or not you will be entitled to compensation in line with the above will be dependent on what is stated in your tenancy agreement. These are known as ‘expressed terms’. If you do not have a tenancy agreement, it is still the responsibility of the landlord to carry out any repairs. These are legally referred to as the ‘implied terms’ of such agreements.

In addition, the landlord has statutory obligations. The landlord cannot force you to repair your property, nor can they include in a contract that it is your obligation to carry out such repairs.

The following is a non-exhaustive list of examples of disrepair:

  • Damp & mould
  • Mice, rats or cockroaches
  • Electrical faults or hazards
  • Broken or faulty gas boilers
  • Rotting to your windows & doors frames
  • Damaged interior: such as wallpaper, curtains, old carpet, bad flooring.
  • Blocked drains and leaks
  • Damage to your belongings, goods or furniture due to mould, damp and or leaks.

If your home is in disrepair and you have reported it to your landlord and either they have failed to do anything or failed to do a proper job, you can make a claim for housing disrepair. If your health has been affected due to the disrepair, we can also take out a separate claim against your landlord for the personal injury. In such circumstances, you may have a claim under Harassment and illegal evictions.

Why Adam Bernard Solicitors?

  • Our team of solicitors are experts within this field with years of experience in handling the claims of clients.
  • We have achieved numerous successes for clients as evidenced through our client testimonies.
  • Whilst we do not take legal aid, we may be able to take on your case on a no win no fee agreement. This means we will only take payment once we are successful in getting you your compensation.
0207 100 2525