Update, Transfer or Replace your Biometric Residence Permit

What is a Biometric Residence Permit?

A Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) is evidence of a right to reside, work or study in the UK. It will include the following information:

  • Name
  • Date of birth
  • Place of birth
  • Biometric information including fingerprints
  • A photograph
  • Immigration status.

Biometric Residence Permits are issued to all overseas nationals who reside in the UK for more than 6 months, this includes those who have successfully applied to settle in the UK, people who have entered the UK on long-term work visas and foreign students coming to study in the UK. You will also get a Biometric Residence Permit if you extend your visa to longer than 6 months, transfer your existing visa to a new passport or when you apply for specific Home Office travel documents. EEA, EU and Swiss nationals who have been awarded settled status or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme will also be granted a Biometric Residence Permit. Unfortunately, Short-term visa holders such as those with a visitor visa to the UK, will not be issued a Biometric Residence Permit.

Updating your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)

If you currently hold or have applied for a biometric residence permit (BRP) from the UK Home Office, but your contact information or certain other details have recently changed, you may be required to report these changes of circumstances.

How to Update your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)

If you’re an overseas national in the UK with a BRP, or if you’ve applied for a permit from either inside or outside the UK but haven’t yet received a decision, you may be required to notify the UK Home Office of certain changes in your details. How you do this depends on the changes you’re reporting and whether you’re in the UK or abroad. You may not need to apply for a new BRP, but merely report the changes by email or online so that these details can be updated.

When reporting BRP changes, you can either fill out the relevant online form or paperwork yourself. However, if you have appointed a legal representative, you can instruct them to notify the Home Office on your behalf. You must provide your representative with a letter of authority authorising them to notify the Home Office of these changes.

Reporting Changes of Circumstances to the Home Office

As an overseas national currently living in the UK, you must notify the Home Office immediately if your circumstances change and you no longer meet the requirements for leave under your current immigration category.

You may have an obligation to report other changes to the information you provided in your BRP application, such as:

  • your personal details, such as your name, your nationality, and your gender status
  • your contact details, such as your address, email address and contact number
  • your dependants’ details, including if you separate from your dependent partner or if any dependent children stop living permanently with you
  • any criminal convictions, relating to both yourself and any dependants
  • any other relevant information that you think the Home Office ought to know about.

Why is it important to report changes of circumstances to the Home Office?

If you’re granted permission to come to the UK, you have several key responsibilities as a BRP-holder. This means complying with the conditions of your stay, and reporting certain changes to the Home Office, including a BRP change of address. Failing to comply with your reporting requirements, you lead to a financial penalty being applied. This could also have major impact on any outstanding application which may lead to refusal, or your leave being cancelled or curtailed.

Failing to provide the Home Office with an up-to-date correspondence address or contact details, may lead to important notifications which require you to act within a specific deadline, being missed. This could negatively impact your application or result in your existing permission to stay in the UK being shortened.

The rules for changing immigration conditions in the UK are many and varied, with different procedures depending on the type of change you want to report. By securing expert advice from one our immigration specialist you can remain assured that your changes are reported correctly to the Home Office with the write documentation.

Change of Address process from within the UK

You can report a BRP change online if you currently reside in the UK or your application for a BRP was made in the UK. This could be where you gave a temporary address when you first applied from overseas or your address has unexpectedly changed since your arrival in the UK. Regardless, it is essential that you report these changes to the Home Office as soon as possible to avoid having a negative impact.

The following documentation will need to be provided when submitting a BRP change if address online:

  • Your name
  • Date of birth
  • Nationality
  • your old postcode, and your new address and postcode
  • Your identity document number (for example your BRP number).

Furthermore, several documents will need to be submitted to prove your identity and verify your new address. You will need one document as evidence of your identity, such as your passport or biometric residence permit. And a further, three separate documents showing your new address, that have been received within the last 3 months. These can vary from:

  • A mortgage statements
  • A bank or building society statement
  • A credit card statement
  • A rental agreement
  • A utility or council tax bill
  • Benefits statement

Reporting other changes of circumstances

To report other changes to the details provided in your BRP application since you arrived in the UK, you will need to complete the ‘Migrant change of circumstances (MCC)’ form. This could include if you separate from your partner, if any of your children stop living with you, or if you or any dependant is convicted of a criminal offence.

The MCC form will need to be completed, providing detailed information about the change in circumstances, and posted to the address on the form.

For any criminal convictions, you will need to provide full details of the offence, the name of the court, the date and place of sentencing, and the sentence imposed. For relationship breakdowns, where your relationship with your dependent partner has permanently broken down, you should provide details of the date that you and your partner ceased living together and, if possible, the address that your partner is now living at. Similarly, if a dependent child that travelled with you to the UK is no longer living with you in the UK on a permanent basis, you should notify the Home Office of when they moved out and their new address.

If your partner or child ceases to be eligible for leave as a dependant due to the change in circumstances, their existing leave could be curtailed. They may be required to leave the UK or take steps to regularise their stay by applying for leave under a different immigration category.


Replacing a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)


How to replace an expired BRP

How you replace an expired BRP depends on whether you are in the UK and what type of leave you have. It is vital to understand that, replacing your expired BRP will not give you more time to stay in the UK if your leave (for example, your visa) is expiring. You must apply to extend your leave if you want to continue residing in the UK.

If you have Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR)

If you need to prove your immigration status before your replacement arrives, there are also other ways to prove your immigration status.

If your visa is about to expire

  • You cannot use the BRP replacement service. You’ll need to apply to extend your visa or apply for a new visa If it is granted, you’ll automatically get a new BRP.

If you’re outside the UK

You cannot apply for a replacement BRP if it expires while you are outside the UK. Rather, you’ll need to apply for a ‘replacement BRP visa’, which will allow you to re-enter the UK once only. Thereafter, you can apply for a replacement BRP when you return to the UK. You must do this within 3 months of its expiry unless you have a good reason, for example you were unable to return to the UK in that time. The cost for a replacement BRP visa is £154.

How to replace your Visa with a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)

You can apply for a biometric residence permit (BRP) to replace the visa in your passport or travel document, if:

  • your passport or travel document has expired, or it’s been lost or stolen
  • the details on your visa (including your facial appearance) have changed

You must apply from inside the UK. The fee and how you apply depend on your visa status.

When you apply, you’ll be asked to make an appointment at a UK Visa and Citizenship Application Services (UKVCAS) service point to provide your biometric information (your fingerprints and a photo).

You have permission to settle (‘indefinite leave to remain’)

You must apply online if you have indefinite leave to remain. It costs £229. You’ll get a decision within 6 months.

If you want a faster decision you can pay an extra £800 for the super priority service. You’ll get a decision:

  • by the end of the next working day after your UKVCAS appointment if your appointment is on a weekday
  • 2 working days after your UKVCAS appointment if your appointment is at the weekend

Working days are Monday to Friday, not including bank holidays.

You have temporary permission to stay in the UK (‘leave to remain’)

You can apply online if you have leave to remain. It costs £161. You’ll get a decision within 8 weeks.

If you want a faster decision, you can pay an extra £800 for the super priority service. You’ll get a decision:

  • by the end of the next working day after your UKVCAS appointment if your appointment is on a weekday
  • 2 working days after your UKVCAS appointment if your appointment is at the weekend

Working days are Monday to Friday, not including bank holidays

Why Adam Bernard Solicitors?

  • We recognise the benefits to employers and institutions that such applications can have. We ensure that every aspect of these applications is comprehensively covered so that you can attain your goals.
  • Our team of immigration solicitors in London have years of experience in making these applications.
  • We have achieved numerous successes for our clients as evidenced through our client testimonies.
  • To ensure that your application is given the best chance of success, visit one of our London offices to speak to one of our team who will guide you through each stage of the process.

    Contact Us
    Please call 020 7100 2525 or fill in the form below.

    Full Name*
    Your Inquiry

      Contact Us
      Please call 020 7100 2525 or fill in the form below.

      Full Name*
      Your Inquiry
      0207 100 2525