No Time Limit Application/ Indefinite Leave Biometric Residence Permit
If you hold Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) status in the UK, you may wish to apply and obtain a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) to demonstrate your status. To do this you will need to make a No Time Limit (NTL) application. Previously, if you were granted ILR you simply received a vignette (sticker) in your passport or travel document. These days, whenever someone is granted Indefinite Leave to Remain, they receive a BRP card. A biometric residence permit is a form of ID which contains a chip that holds a migrant’s details. These details include personal data, biometric information such as your fingerprints and photograph, and proof you’re permitted to reside, work or study in the UK.
What is a No Time Limit Application?
A No Time Limit application is an administrative process by which a person with indefinite leave to enter (ILE) or indefinite leave to remain (ILR) can apply for confirmation of this status on a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP).
What is the purpose of a No Time Limit Application?
A person may wish to apply for a no time limit (NTL) biometric residence permit (BRP) for several reasons, such as:
- Their passport containing an ILE, ILR or NTL endorsement has been lost, stolen, or has expired
- They hold a settled status in the UK, but do not have any documentary evidence confirming this (for example because they were deemed settled in the UK on 1 January 1973 in line with section 1(2) of the Immigration Act 1971)
- They have legitimately changed their identity since being granted indefinite leave and want this confirmed on a BRP.
What are the Benefits of a No Time Limit Application?
Though it is not considered mandatory for a person to apply for an No Time Limit BRP, there are many benefits to doing so, for example:
- Firstly, in comparison to an old-fashioned vignette (stamp) in your passport, a NTL BRP has enhanced security features, meaning there is less chance of it being used fraudulently by another person
- Furthermore, a NTL BRP is evidence that a person has the right to stay permanently in the UK and shows you have the right to work and access certain benefits.
- Lastly, in the event you lose your passport, a NTL BRP can be used as a form of identification. In addition to this, it can facilitate as travel to and from the UK.
Applications for NTL must be made in the UK on the NTL application form and require a fee
What are the eligibility requirements for a Not Time Limit Application?
It is essential to ensure you are eligible for a No Time Limit application, before applying as this will help prevent wasting time and money in the event you are not eligible.
The criteria to be met, in order to be eligible for a No Time Limit BRP, are:
- You must have Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK and continue to be entitled to it
- You must not have had your ILR or ILE revoked
- You must apply from within the UK using the relevant No Time Limit application form
Further information can be found on the gov.uk website
Who cannot make a NTL Application?
For someone who has limited leave, it is usually not possible to make a No Time Limit application. If you’re someone who has limited leave; First, you will need to make a transfer of conditions application, thereafter you can make an NTL application to confirm your status on a BRP.
The only way a person with Limited leave can be eligible to make an NTL application is in the event they were given 2 months’ Leave to Enter at their port of entry due to the Border Force staff being unsatisfied that a person had indefinite leave following an absence from the UK. More information can be found here.
Moreover, EEA nationals and their family members who have the right to permanent residence or settled status in the UK cannot transfer their leave to a BRP. For EEA nationals and their family members Who have resided in the UK fo0r at least 5 years, must apply for settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme.
What Are The Home Office Fees and Processing Times for NTL Applications?
There are two types of services which can be used when submitting an application, these are a standard process service and a super priority service.
Once an application, which includes all your supporting evidence and/or documents has been submitted and received by the Home Office, a decision can be made within 6 months. This time frame does not take into consideration of service delays caused by COVID-19, so there is a possibility you may have to wait even longer, depending on the circumstances.
The application fee for those who wish to use the standard process service is currently £229.
Super Priority Service
Once an application is submitted, those who wish for a decision to be made sooner than 6 months can pay an additional fee to have their application fast-tracked by using the super priority service. If your appointment at the UKVCAS is on a weekday then you are likely to receive a decision by the end of the next working day. If your appointment is on the weekend, then you should receive a decision within 2 working days.
The cost of this service is an additional £800. The total fee for a super priority service is £1,029.
Can dependants be included in a No Time Limit application?
You may wish to include your spouse, civil partner, unmarried or same-sex partner and/or children under the age of 18 if they are applying as your dependants. It is essential to bear in mind that you will need to pay the application fee for each dependant included on the form. The fee for each additional dependent is £229. Any children who are aged 18 or over must apply separately. If any children 18 or over are included, their application will be rejected as invalid.
Why Adam Bernard Solicitors?
- At Adam Bernard Solicitors we house the best immigration solicitors in London who have years of experience who go above and beyond when it comes to making NTL applications. Our immigration solicitors understand the complexities and stress that come with NTL applications, which is why we offer tailored advice to our clients, giving them the best chances of success.
- To irradicate the stresses that come with NTL applications, our expert immigration lawyers will work with you directly, thoroughly ensuring tat all your forms are filled out properly, with all necessary documentation attached appropriately
- Our client testimonies are a testimony for the numerous successes we have achieved for our clients.
- To ensure that your application stands the best chances of success, please visit either of our London offices and speak to a member of our team today.